Thursday 17 March 2011

Gonna Miss Watching My Former Team-mate


This week it was announced that Jennifer Botterill is retiring from hockey. I will forever remember Jenn as the 16 year old who picked me up each week in her parents Jimmy for our games and practices in Transcona. Living in Winnipeg without a vehicle at 18 was an issue, but being the goaltender for the Storm I was able to get a ride without too much begging. Jenn was a great player and I appreciated our time in the vehicle almost as much as on the ice. She chatted on practice days and allowed us both to focus on game days. Her smile always greeted me and on the way home we often dissected the game. Jenn, Nicki Beare, Cindy Klassen and I were invited to the Calgary Oval Extreme in 1996. The other three girls made the treck out west and I stayed in Manitoba. It was shortly after that when I realized Jenn would make it big. Soon I was watching her in red and white playing for our country's national team. What a treat! Same great stride - same great smile. I will miss watching number 17 in all those big games. All the best Jenn. Perhaps I'll be able to interview you again sometime down the road. That's always fun too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/jennifer-botterill-retires-from-team-canada/article1941163/

No comments:

Post a Comment